The owner of Baby Blush Boutique
recently shared some cute pictures of her little girl wearing this easy to make dress. She was kind enough to send me an email with instructions and photos so that you can make it, too! Have fun turning your husband's old T-shirts into wearable works of art for your little girl!
- Cut the area you need from the t-shirt. Measurements depend on the size you want how big your child is and if you want it loose or long. Baby Blush Boutique's was about 13” long (2” of which will be use for the elastic casing ) and 15” wide.
- Cut about 2.5” wide strip for the strap from the leftovers the length would depend on how big you child (measure from the front armpit around the shoulder to back armpit). Optional: Cut a strip to make a flower.
- Turn the shirt piece wrong side out and sew the open side to make a tube. A zigzag stitch is good to use here. Then fold 2” from the top (for the elastic casing).
- Sew ¼” from the top fold (straight stitch).
- Cut two strips of elastic and sew the ends together, forming two separate elastic circles. The length would depend on your child’s measurement around the chest. (Use the chest measurement and add one inch, overlap the elastic 1/2 and inch to sew)
- Insert one of the elastic pieces around the top, right next to your straight stitch and sew to close.
- Do the same to the next piece of elastic, this time fold the facing under your elastic to create a neatly finished garment. Stitch on the edge of the fold, not on the elastic.
- Sew the straps, right sides together, down the long edge and one short edge. Turn and flip right sides out. Tuck the unfinished end of the straps inside about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and topstitch the open side shut.
- Measure approximately 2” from both sides. This will be where you put the straps.
- When sewing the straps, bunch the ends a little and sew between the two elastic casings. Make sure to backstitch for durability.
- This is optional: For more "ooh's" and "ahh's", make a flower embellishment.
- Ta-da! Enjoy the cuteness! Add leggings, shorts or pants for a taller child or to wear in cooler weather.
Thank you Monica from Baby Blush Boutique
! Be sure to check out her web pages here!
Baby Blush Boutique
is also on Face Book